We are a corporate partner with Association of Proposal Management Professionals National Capital Area
Self-study proposal training and reusable professional tools:
Blueprint for Winning Government Proposals for Small Businesses
(comprehensive course with videos, manuals, slides, processes maps)
Task Order Manual Template (reusable professional toolset - instant download!)
Executive Summary Secrets (manual and audio)
How to Succeed as a Proposal Consultant
A Proposal Manager’s Essential Checklists
(reusable professional toolset)
Proposal Resources Estimating Guide (professional toolset-guide)
For more details on these courses and tools please go to self-study courses page.
To read more testimonials about our training and services please go to testimonials page.
Advanced Capture Management
November 20-21, 2014. Classroom Training in Rockville, MD
<Scroll down for price information and registration. Don't miss Early Bird registration discount - it ends 3 weeks before the class start date. NOTE: You can take any class remotely as well – we have webcasting capability. Please send us an email at email@example.com if you'd like to attend a class via live webcast (date and time will be the same as the classroom training).>
Masterfully facilitate brainstorming sessions such as Black Hats, Win Strategy, and CONOPS workshops; perform advanced competitive analysis; create advantageous teaming arrangements; apply formulas to solution development; and much more. The course also focuses on measuring and improving cost-efficiency and effectiveness of the capture team.
This course takes capture management to the next level showcasing what does it take to maximize win probability and mastermind the most effective win strategy using cutting edge techniques.
This course is for those who have experience with capture management. It builds advanced skills by offering a deeper understanding of theory and practice of capture management, expanding abilities through best practices-based methodologies, and providing tool sets for immediate implementation.
It is an interactive 2-day workshop that is 50 percent lecture, 30 percent exercises and case studies, and 20 percent discussion.
Fee and registration: For team discounts please change quantity of attendees at the checkout and click "Recalculate" to get the discount. Register 3 weeks before class date and receive $100 off per attendee as an EARLYBIRD discount!
- $1390 per one attendee ($1290 if registered 3 weeks before class date).
- $1250 per attendee when registering a team of 3 or more ($1150 if registered 3 weeks before class date), discounts apply at the checkout.
(Click the link below to choose the class date you'd like to register for:
November 20-21, 2014 class
“Thank you for the terrific class on Capture. I can honestly say that prior to your training I had no understanding of the concept or process of Capture, and now I have far greater understanding and value to the next company I join. My previous company was a small firm that approached Business Development as reactionary after the RFP was published and I saw firsthand how that approach was akin to rolling the dice and seeing what comes up. I will certainly take more of your courses and build upon the knowledge that you have helped me develop.”
Richard Krafsig, Business Development, Abacus-N-Bytes, TCS Associates
“The training has been invaluable. I didn’t realize how much I didn’t know! I feel like I have the tools needed to be strategic and direct in my approach to Business Development.”
Domonique Basler, Chief Operations Officer, MTCI
“Who Am I – What do I do:
I have been a senior business development executive in pursuit of US Government contracts for more than 30 years, in support of both for profit and not-for-profit organizations. In this role, I have led and supported numerous captures and proposal efforts.
Recent Issues encountered with Capture Management:
Over the past two years, I have encountered a multitude of small businesses and Non-Profit organizations with no standard template or approach to Capture Management. Nor did most members of the organization, including senior executives, understand the type of information that was most relevant or desirable to be included in a quality Capture Management initiative, or the most important focus and methodologies. Additionally, there was rarely agreement on how and when to start the Capture initiative, and who should be responsible for leading the effort. Moreover, and quite disappointingly, there was rarely agreement on the need for an organized and rigorous approach to winning a US Government project.
Potential impact of Implementing The OST Capture Management Process: The impact of implementing the methodology and guidance contained in OST's Advanced Capture Management course will be felt and provide a positive and disciplined impact across the entire organization. There is little doubt that OST's disciplined approach to Capturing and Winning US Government business will facilitate a more efficient, thereby more cost effective, less frustrating Capture effort, with significantly improved results and a significant increase in a company's win rate.
As a result of experience, I will highly recommend OST’s Advanced Capture Management Course to all of my Business Associates. It is a quality and relevant product from a great organization, and is a very worthwhile investment for anyone wanting to improve their win rate. Moreover, it is a simple and easy to learn and implement.”
John Mohler, Principal, The Nemacolin Business Group
Date: March 13-14, 2014; July 15-16, 2014 and November 20-21, 2014. 9am - 5pm (continental breakfast and afternoon snack included).
Location: Metro Park North Business Center, 7361 Calhoun Place, Suite 560, Rockville, MD 20855 (check our Visitor Guide for location details, driving directions, nearby hotels and restaurants, and more).
Course completion: By attending this class, you will receive 3 CEUs towards your APMP accreditation, or 3 PDUs towards your PMP. At the end of this course you will get a Certificate of Completion.
Who should attend this course: Capture managers, business developers, proposal managers, proposal coordinators, proposal writers, business owners, sales executives, pricing personnel, project personnel.
Course materials: Course workbook, handouts, templates, forms, and checklists.
Professional certification: This is a Major or Elective course that provides 2 units (2-days) toward the Bid&Proposal Academy certification program for proposal professionals. To learn more about the program or enroll: www.ostglobalsolutions.com/training/certification
TRAINING and CERTIFICATION CATALOG for capture, proposal, and business development professionals to learn more about the available training and professional certification options.
ON-SITE TRAINING brochure to bring the most practical and effective training programs to your company and get the training designed specifically for your needs and goals.
Learning objectives: Upon course completion, the participants will have learned and be able to put into practice:
- Understanding how advanced capture techniques offer an edge in a competition.
- Building strong and lasting relationships with government customers.
- Shaping opportunities and requirements.
- Gathering intelligence like a professional analyst, and distilling it to drive capture strategy and proposal development.
- Facilitating win strategy development sessions.
- Developing a solid value proposition.
- Turning advanced win strategies into action.
- Unseating incumbents and defending one's position as an incumbent.
- Using seven most useful competitive analysis techniques.
- Understanding Price to Win and competitive analysis for Multiple Award contracts.
- Facilitating Black Hat sessions that produce actionable intelligence.
- Applying strategic principles to teaming.
- Navigating the small business subcontracting rules to benefit from the socioeconomic programs and avoid hidden trouble.
- Negotiating binding teaming agreement to protect bidder s' interests.
- Developing an executive summary, management, technical, risk, price strategy, past performance, resumes, staffing, and other approaches.
- Pre-staging of capture materials for proposal development.
- Focusing the capture effort and measuring its effectiveness.
Course curriculum: Here are some of the topics we will cover in this course.
Day 1 highlights
Module 1: Introduction
- Introductions and learning objectives.
- Recap: overview of the capture process for an advanced big-picture perspective.
Module 2: Creating Lasting Customer Relationships
- How to create strong and lasting relationships with government customers.
- Advanced techniques for building an effective rapport with government customers
- Techniques for finding connections and engaging the customer before and after the communication channels close.
- Mind set for achieving the most results with government customers.
- How to influence the RFP and shape customer requirements.
- Organizing key information about the customer and measuring customer relationship.
- Engaging decision-makers with a high level of influence.
- Legal aspects of customer relationship building or how to keep yourself and your company out of trouble.
Case Study: Determine correct and incorrect courses of action as applicable to a real-life scenario.
Module 3: Gathering Intelligence Like a Pro, Focusing Time and Effort on Information Needed to Win
- Differences between data, information, knowledge, and actionable intelligence.
- Sources of information and degrees of their reliability.
- Where to find the right information on the web, and how to search for data like a professional analyst.
- How to harvest valuable intelligence from customer artifacts.
- How to distill information from open sources.
- How to analyze the data to make the right capture-related conclusions.
- Validating and testing data.
- A system for documenting intelligence that's most useful for the proposal team.
Exercise: Research and analyze an opportunity based on the information provided.
Module 4: Developing a Win Strategy that Packs a Punch
- Mastery in facilitating win strategy development sessions.
- Finer points of the win strategy development process.
- Key components of a strategy.
- Developing a value proposition.
- How to test quality of the win strategy.
- Types of successful win strategies.
- Effective use of ghosting.
- Strategy for unseating incumbents and defending one's position as an incumbent.
- Taking your win strategies to the next level.
- Win strategy white paper and its mapping to the action items and solution development.
- Developing and tracking strategic action plans.
Exercise: Conduct a win strategy development session simulation.
Day 2 highlights
Module 5: Advanced Competitive Analysis to Exploit Competition's Shortfalls and Neutralize their Strengths
- Seven most used competitive analysis techniques and their practical application.
- Applying intelligence gathering techniques to competitive analysis.
- Competitive analysis for IDIQs with multiple bidders.
- Price to Win analysis.
- A practical approach to conducting a Black Hat session that produces actionable intelligence.
- Turning competitive intelligence into strategic decisions and actions.
Case Study: Application of competitive analysis tools.
Module 6: Teaming Strategies
- Strategic considerations that go into forming a team.
- When it is best to move forward with a teaming arrangement and when to wait.
- How to avoid diluting the scope and dealing with the risk of having too many teammates.
- How to choose between exclusive and non-exclusive teaming.
- Effective teaming techniques and precautions for teaming with competitors.
- Small business subcontracting.
- Understanding size rules and potential disqualifiers from bidding.
- Elements of a binding teaming agreement to protect bidder's interests.
- How to negotiate for success and follow the government contracting and subcontracting negotiating template.
- Negotiation tactics and appropriate responses.
Exercise: Compare strategic teaming scenarios and determine the most appropriate paths of action.
Module 7: Solution Development
- Executive summary.
- Management solution.
- Risk management approach development.
- Technical approach development.
- Developing a price strategy.
- Advance preparation of past performance, resumes, staffing, and other solutions
- Pre-staging of proposal materials.
Exercise: Prepare risk matrix. Walk through the solution development checklists.
Module 8: Capture Process Management
- Conducting gate reviews focused on results and measurements.
- Metrics for capture effectiveness.
Discussion: Technique applicability to participants' organizations.
Module 9: Summary
- Additional resources and bibliography.
The experts who teach our business development, capture and proposal training are highly experienced currently practicing proposal professionals whose years of successful experience in government acquisition and training allow them to offer valuable insights to our students. Our instructors can answer tough questions as they come up during the course. They can also tailor the material to their students’ specific challenges, and share their experience based on the most current realities. Check our instructor's bios.
Seating is limited. Do not delay registering.
Recommend this course through LinkedIn:
For additional questions please call 301-384-3350 during normal business hours. If you'd like to pay by invoice please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (NOTE: the payment must be received prior to the course start date).
Cancellations and rescheduling policy: Cancellation notification must be received 10 business days prior to the training date. Upon notification, your registration fee will be refunded less a $100 non-refundable processing fee. Any cancellations beyond the 10 business days are non-refundable, but the course fee can be applied towards another training course, webinar, or an OST Global Solutions training product. No refunds will be made for the cancellation of a rescheduled course. Attendee substitutions may be made at any time. Payment must be received prior to the course date. No-shows are liable for the full class fee.
P. S. If you think of someone else who could benefit from this course, please forward this invitation to them!
“The collaborative knowledge of this entire program that I have gained is immeasurable and will be seen in the future and hopefully for years to come. They (the tools and knowledge) will help me knock down the barriers.”
Paul Oleksiak, CSRS Corp.
“I have been working on proposals for over 15 years, and I am always looking for areas to improvement. As the economic and competitive climates continue to change, it is important to always refine your skills and keep up with the latest techniques. This class really helped to discuss the overall capture strategy in more detail that what is covered in other seminars. The approach is one of practicality, and he identifies real-life solutions that for me could be immediately applied.”
Christopher S. Fedele, Business Development Manager, Moog, Inc.
“I really enjoyed the study material and the level of interaction with facilitators and students. The information was timely and facilitators were approachable. I will be making sure that friends and co-workers looking for a top-notch education in capture planning will have to attend OST Global Solutions.”
Brock Pilgrim, BD, NMAC
“Having the opportunity to join your peers, often from competing organizations both large and small, to discuss issues of capture and proposal management in an intimate setting is one of the main benefits of attending OST Global Solutions classes. The Advanced Capture Management course gives us the opportunity to take a deeper dive into the more complex and challenging topics we don't have time to discuss in other venues.”
Alyssa Feliho, Sr. Capture and Proposal Manager, ConStrat
“The course is highly valuable. It's worth every penny, especially in this economy.”
John Lee, Sec. Eng., CSRS
“I am former gov't employee and new to industry. This class opened my eyes to what is required from a capture manager. Great foundational course - even good as refresher-getting back to basics. Looking forward to taking the advanced course and implementing everything I've learned. Great instructor. I loved interactive form of the class. Highly recommend.”
Jennifer Condon, Senior Consultant, Barling Bay
“As a senior business development analyst, I have worked on over 20 proposals in the last 3 years; however none of those opportunities went through the full capture process. This class has helped me to realize how much easier it can be and more successful we can be by implementing the OST capture process. The class provided a very personalized experience. I look forward to taking my acquired knowledge back to my team and see how our capture process will improve from here.”
Arlene Romero, Sr. Business Development Analyst, Chenega Corporation
“Excellent structured and very well defined curriculum. Training based on real experience is always the most effective. Very well rounded, clear and complete; touched many more areas and disciplines that I anticipated. Highly recommended.”
Todd Warton, Director of Business Development, BAE Systems.
“I have thoroughly enjoyed the class! My company has worked closely with OST Global Solutions in shaping the foundations of our companies Business Development Team. We look forward to sending over employees to OST classes to improve our BD capabilities.”
Robert Morrison, Senior VP of Operations, CES LLC.
“Advanced Capture Management class provides an excellent overview of tasks and steps in preparing for proposal development. Highlighted in this course are key suggestions; recommended approaches and research sites that will help with in capture management and execution. The course is an excellent primer for growing small businesses.”
John Huluski, Capture Manager, BAE Systems.
“We came to this class believing we knew all there was to know about capture management. This course quickly highlighted areas where we could improve our offerings and do an even more thorough job in pleasing our customers."
William T. Winnewisser, Capture Management, The Boeing Company
“Very useful course. Confirmed my current experience and provided some new tools. Well presented. Look forward to future training opportunities.”
Rob Belknap, Capture Manager, BAE Systems
“The information I have been taught will give me a better advantage to produce a quality proposal with a stronger position for a win.”
George Smith, Director of Operations Services, The Boeing Company.
“Our capture management process has been “ad-hoc” and I realize if we want to grow to the next level, there has to be change. This course is an excellent start for us to begin to institute a new approach. Olessia is an excellent teacher who shares a lot of practical very useable advice.”
Christie Adams, CEO, Information Dynamics International.
“I have worked with consultants on one of the largest proposals my company has submitted so I witness all the successes and failures of our proposal/capture process. We have a long way to go to follow all the guidelines benchmarked in this course but I think it was a great starting point for us. This class helped build our BD department, educate our staff ISMES/DMS/VPS. Also on customer relations, gathering intel on our competitors, and using metrics to evaluate our position within the playing field.”
Erica Jennings, Corporate Advocate, Millennium Corporation
“This course really opened my eyes to the bigger picture of the BD process while still allowing flexibility for us to delve into the greater details when necessary or required.”
Molly Farney, Corporate Relations, Millennium Corporation.
“No matter where you are in your career the Capture Management courses by OST Global Solution are extremely valuable to improving ones techniques.”
Sharon Sollom, Director/Corporate Relations, Daughtery & Associates, Inc. (DAI)