We are a corporate partner with Association of Proposal Management Professionals National Capital Area
Self-study proposal training and reusable professional tools:
Blueprint for Winning Government Proposals for Small Businesses
(comprehensive course with videos, manuals, slides, processes maps)
Task Order Manual Template (reusable professional toolset - instant download!)
Executive Summary Secrets (manual and audio)
How to Succeed as a Proposal Consultant
A Proposal Manager’s Essential Checklists
(reusable professional toolset)
Proposal Resources Estimating Guide (professional toolset-guide)
For more details on these courses and tools please go to self-study courses page.
To read more testimonials about our training and services please go to testimonials page.
Foundations of Capture Management
February 10-11, 2015, June 23-24, 2015, December 11-12, 2015. Classroom Training in Rockville, MD
<Scroll down for price information and registration. Don't miss Early Bird registration discount - it ends 3 weeks before the class start date. NOTE: You can take any class remotely as well – we have webcasting capability. Please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to attend a class via live webcast (date and time will be the same as the classroom training).>
Your chances of winning government proposals without capture are the same as cutting classes during the semester and hoping to get an A on the final exam.
Foundations of Capture Management course will arm you with real knowledge and tools you can apply immediately to capturing contracts and dramatically improving your odds of winning.
Master techniques for customer engagement, intelligence gathering, win strategy development, competitive analysis, teaming, solution development, and more. This is an interactive 2-day workshop that is 50 percent lecture, 40 percent exercises, and 10 percent discussion. It will teach you real skills to raise win probability of the government contracts you pursue.
Fee and registration: For team discounts please change quantity of attendees at the checkout and click "Recalculate" to get the discount. Register 3 weeks before class date and receive $100 off per attendee as an EARLYBIRD discount!
- $1390 per one attendee ($1290 if registered 3 weeks before class date).
- $1250 per attendee when registering a team of 3 or more ($1150 if registered 3 weeks before class date), discounts apply at the checkout.
Click the link below to choose the class date you'd like to register for:
February 10-11, 2015 class
June 23-24, 2015 class
December 11-12, 2015 class
“We had been successful using a reactive approach to business development but realize that in today’s competitive environment we must be proactive in our approach to growing our company. This course presented the necessary tools to developing a long-term strategy to capturing the data to increase our proposal win ratio.”
Robert Manigault, President, Magnum Opus Technologies, Inc.
“I have been in Government Business support for 26 years. I have worked in small and large companies and small companies we took to large. I have worked at every level of BD and know the discipline very well. This class was very good and I learned new approaches to capture. It further emphasized the importance of good capture management. Marina Goren is a professional of the discipline and has an outstanding command of the capture management process. Excellent training.”
Ken Noland, Senior Capture Manager, Yulista Holding, LLC
“Really provides the basics necessary to capture work in federal marketplace. The learning environment was very relative to real world practices.”
Joe Webb, Director of BD, Yulista Holding, LLC
“10 years in proposals. I was most impressed with the info on SSA’s and competition analysis. The material was mostly a confirmation that we are on the right track. The instructor was excellent and thankfully not just a theoretician.”
Ray Atwood, Senior Capture Manager, Yulista Holding, LLC
“Outstanding class on capture management. We have a small Business Development team making it all the more important that we are efficient and effective. Your class taught us a lean process that we can immediately put into practice. Thank you!”
Ben Still, BD Manager, Yulista Holding, LLC
“Thank you for the terrific class on Capture. I can honestly say that prior to your training I had no understanding of the concept or process of Capture, and now I have far greater understanding and value to the next company I join. My previous company was a small firm that approached Business Development as reactionary after the RFP was published and I saw firsthand how that approach was akin to rolling the dice and seeing what comes up. I will certainly take more of your courses and build upon the knowledge that you have helped me develop.”
Richard Krafsig, Business Development, Abacus-N-Bytes, TCS Associates
“The training has been invaluable. I didn’t realize how much I didn’t know! I feel like I have the tools needed to be strategic and direct in my approach to Business Development.”
Domonique Basler, Chief Operations Officer, MTCI
“This was extremely useful in assisting me to make the right decision in building my company’s BD process. It validated much of what we have been attempted to build, but it really brought all the essential aspects of Capture Management into Focus.”
John R. Morrison, Sr. VP of Operations, CES, US
“Great course... I want to learn more.”
Jacqueline Rose, Director, Child Care Aware of America
Dates: February 4-5, 2014, June 24-25, 2014, October 2-3, 2014, December 11-12, 2014. 9am - 5pm (continental breakfast and afternoon snack included).
Location: Metro Park North Business Center, 7361 Calhoun Place, Suite 560, Rockville, MD 20855 (check our Visitor Guide for location details, driving directions, nearby hotels and restaurants, and more).
Course completion: By attending this class, you will receive 3 CEUs towards your APMP accreditation, or 3 PDUs towards your PMP. At the end of this course you will get a Certificate of Completion.
Who should attend this course: Capture managers, business developers, proposal managers, proposal coordinators, proposal writers, business owners, sales executives, pricing personnel, and project personnel.
Course materials: Course workbook, handouts, templates, forms, and checklists.
Professional certification: This is a Core Curriculum Course that provides 2 units (2-days) towards Bid&Proposal Academy certification program for proposal professionals. To learn more about the program or enroll: www.ostglobalsolutions.com/training/certification
TRAINING and CERTIFICATION CATALOG for capture, proposal, and business development professionals to learn more about the available training and professional certification options.
ON-SITE TRAINING brochure to bring the most practical and effective training programs to your company and get the training designed specifically for your needs and goals.
Learning objectives: Upon course completion, the participants will have learned and be able to put into practice:
- Understanding where capture fits in the business development lifecycle.
- Identifying six types of decision makers and developing relationships with the customer.
- Preparing customer profile and contact plan.
- Collecting the opportunity intelligence in ethical ways and analyzing it for applicability to the capture effort.
- Developing a capture plan.
- Developing a win strategy and compelling win themes.
- Identifying top competitors and performing competitive analysis.
- Identifying and vetting potential teammates.
- Postulating the requirements before RFP issuance.
- Developing Concept of Operations (CONOPS) and solution sets for proposal sections.
- Staging capture materials for proposal.
- Preparing a proposal plan and capture schedule.
- Organizing the capture team.
Course curriculum: Here are some of the topics we will cover in this course.
Day 1 highlights
Module 1: Introduction
- Introductions and learning objectives.
- Introduction to capture and overview of the capture process to offer you a big-picture perspective.
- Overview of the class project.
Module 2: Customer Engagement
- How to create relationships and customer contact plans with your government customers.
- Four key tasks for interfacing and building relationships with government customers.
- Understanding how your customer buys and using information to gain an edge.
- How to identify six key types of government buyers and buying influences and what they want.
- Customer contact plan for marketing, information gathering, and influencing.
- Rules of interfacing with government personnel that you don't want to break.
- 20 questions for gathering information from the customer during a visit.
Exercise: Identify customers and their key goals from business development inputs. Create a customer profile and draft contact plan.
Module 3: How to gather actionable intelligence - since the best-informed wins
- Ethics of intelligence gathering and how to avoid legal repercussions that may cost you your business.
- How to collect intelligence during government site visits, proposal conferences, and industry days.
- The most useful capture research databases and other online resources.
- How to analyze opportunity history.
- Purposes and key components of a capture plan.
- How to develop a capture plan.
Exercise: Development of a draft capture plan.
Module 4: How to develop a great win strategy and win themes to prepare you to finish on top
- Definition of a win strategy.
- How to develop a viable win strategy.
- How to devise top-level actions that create a winning offer.
- How win strategy is related to win themes.
- Three types of win themes.
- How to develop powerful proposal-level and section-level win themes that drive strategy.
Exercise: Identify win strategies and action items.
Day 2 highlights
Module 5: How to analyze your competition
- Techniques for identifying competitors and their likely strategies.
- What information to collect on your competitors.
- Where to find information on your competitors ethically.
- Relationship between competitive analysis, teaming, and other aspects of capture.
Exercise: Identify top competitors and perform competitive analysis. Update capture plan.
Module 6: Teaming
- How to choose and engage the right companies to create a team that compels the customer to select you
- How to decide when it is beneficial to team and when it is not.
- Teaming strategies pros and cons.
- How to decide between priming, subcontracting, joint venture, or a contractor teaming agreement (CTA).
- How to allocate scope between teammates.
- Where to find teammates.
- How to select and vet teammates that will contribute to your win.
Exercise: Identify potential teammates and update capture plan.
Module 7: How to develop the solution pre- and post– draft RFP that will wow your customer
- Overview of solution development.
- Typical problems with solution development.
- How to postulate the requirements.
- Concept of Operations (CONOPS) development techniques.
- Developing solution sets for proposal sections.
- Staging capture materials for proposal use.
- Preparing a proposal plan.
Exercise: Develop a solution for a proposal segment and document in a capture plan.
Module 8: How to manage your capture effort effectively while conserving your resources
- Sequence of capture steps and decision gates, and how they line up to the government acquisition process.
- How to develop an effective capture schedule that conserves your resources but enables you to prepare well.
- How to organize your capture team.
Exercise: Develop a capture schedule.
Module 9: Summary and recap.
“Our capture management process has been “ad-hoc” and I realize if we want to grow to the next level, there has to be change. This course is an excellent start for us to begin to institute a new approach. Olessia is an excellent teacher who shares a lot of practical very useable advice.”
Christie Adams, CEO, Information Dynamics International.
“Well worth the investment! The capture class in conjunction with the Proposal writing course provides the tools to effectively compete in the highly competitive world of Government Contracting.”
John (Jeff) Stivers, Director, Tactical Air Support, Inc.
The experts who teach our business development, capture and proposal training are highly experienced currently practicing proposal professionals whose years of successful experience in government acquisition and training allow them to offer valuable insights to our students. Our instructors can answer tough questions as they come up during the course. They can also tailor the material to their students’ specific challenges, and share their experience based on the most current realities. Check our instructor's bios.
Seating is limited. Do not delay registering.
Recommend this course through LinkedIn:
For additional questions please call 301-384-3350 during normal business hours. If you'd like to pay by invoice please send an email to email@example.com (NOTE: the payment must be received prior to the course start date).
Cancellations and rescheduling policy: Cancellation notification must be received 10 business days prior to the training date. Upon notification, your registration fee will be refunded less a $100 non-refundable processing fee. Any cancellations beyond the 10 business days are non-refundable, but the course fee can be applied towards another training course, webinar, or an OST Global Solutions training product. No refunds will be made for the cancellation of a rescheduled course. Attendee substitutions may be made at any time. Payment must be received prior to the course date. No-shows are liable for the full class fee.
P. S. If you think of someone else who could benefit from this course, please forward this invitation to them!
“This class was truly an eye-opener. I now have many ideas for my BD concept.”
John Lee, BD Team Member, CSRS
“New to capture and this class is beyond helpful!!!”
Victoria Thompson, Capture Manager, INNOVIM, LLC.
“I am a proposal manager. This is an information-packed course, all of which is useful. Many tools and tricks were provided.”
Svetlana York, Proposal Manager, INNOVIM, LLC.
“Instructor was outstanding! Just the right mix of book learning and personal experience. Class was very informative.”
Richard Newman, VP, Leonard-Newman Unlimited
“I can’t wait to go back to work and start using the processes for capture.”
Judi Kotula, Sr. Business Development Executive
“I’ve worked over two decades in large and small business. As Program Director and Business Area Director, my involvement in BD has been as-needed and either seat-of-the-pants or within someone else’s approach. This course provides the tools and skills that I will use to improve our processes, and to lead capture to build the basis for growth. It’s clear from this course that winning is accomplished during capture.”
Richard Sikorski, Director of Science and Data Systems, INNOVIM, LLC.
“I now have a tool kit to develop and implement a capture management process into the BD cycle. I’ve become better equipped to perform CM functions.”
Ed Renaud, Proposal Manager, Capture and BD, AR Inc.
“Being new to the capture, this course has given me a good start at an exciting new opportunity to win!”
Tex Midkiff, Capture Manager, MUM Inc.
“What impressed me the most was the enthusiasm and knowledge shared by instructor and the class participants. It was a very productive 2 days of learning and I’m chomping at the bit to return to work and capture WINS!”
Jo Carol Torrez, Director of Client Relations, IBA Inc.
“This course was an extreme eye opener. I now have the knowledge to take back to my company which will not only help me, but others in different areas. Truly one of the best classes I have ever taken.”
Kevin Odermatt, National Account Manager/Military Programs , Navistal Defense.
“It was another great course with a lot of good, useful information. The instructor is great.”
Brian Giroux, VP Program Management, FLIR Systems Inc.
“I'm not a proposal person but the "real value" for me was the understanding how the role of BD Managers helps feed the overall capture process.”
Jonathan Warren, Director of Air Force Programs, FLIR Systems Inc.
“The Capture Management course took the overwhelming task of capture and condensed it into a methodical thought process easier to understand..”
Sharron Shallom, Director, Corporate Relations, DAI, Daughtery & Associates.
“OST's Capture Management course is an eye opener for all the legwork that needs to be done to successfully go after and opportunity.”
Jane Boswell, Business Development, Tai Pedro & Associates.
“This class was an excellent refresher for me to reset what I have been doing over the past few years. I have been in business 12 years and I have always thought true capture management was for the big guys -"not so "!”
Claire Hines, President/CEO, Net.America.