Earn a Professional Certification Through Our Bid & Proposal Academy
OST’s Bid & Proposal Academy provides training and certification for proposal professionals. We have created more than a dozen courses to help proposal professionals achieve a well-rounded knowledge of their respective fields. They build the right skills you need to have in the field of Business Development and certify your proficiency. Our certification distinguishes between different career paths for business development professionals, because every proposal profession requires its own set of competencies. Capture managers’ skills are distinctly different from business developers, and proposal coordinators need different courses than proposal managers.
We currently offer these five certification tracks:
~ Certified Federal Business Developer (CFBD)
~ Certified Capture Manager (CCM)
~ Certified Proposal Manager (CPM)
~ Certified Proposal Coordinator (CPC)
~ Certified Proposal Writer (CPW)
To earn one of our five business development certifications through our Bid & Proposal Academy, you have to take a certain number of core, major, and elective courses, just as in college. Working through our full program will help you master all basic and advanced aspects of your profession within the Government contracting industry and prepare for the real world of business development.
Each course in our program consists of 1 or 2 units. A day of class equals a single unit (7 hours of instruction). To become certified, you have to take the following courses and an exam designed for your chosen program:
1. 3 core classes (6 units):
- Foundations of Proposal Management
- Foundations of Capture Management
- Writing Persuasive Government
2. All the major classes required for the specific certification type (6 units)
3. At least 2 elective classes (4 units)
The matrix below shows the courses available for each certification track. Each class and track is color-coded to indicate a core class, a major class, or an elective class. You can learn more about each class’s curriculum on our Schedule of Public Classes page or download our Course Catalog.
Business development professionals can take courses or earn credits towards certification in several ways:
- Through our Bid & Proposal Academy public workshops
- Through onsite corporate training provided by OST Global Solutions’ instructors
- By showing proof of an Association of Proposal Management Professionals’ (APMP) accreditation (a Foundations accreditation is worth 1 unit, a Practitioner accreditation counts for 2 units, and Professional accreditation counts for 4 units)
- By applying for credit for any class you’ve taken at OST since 2009; both new and previously-taken classes may qualify toward core, major, or elective credits, depending on the course
Benefits of Certification
Getting certified through OST Global Solutions’ Bid & Proposal Academy offers a number of advantages. It can:
- Help your organization succeed through higher win rates and greater efficiency, speed and productivity
- Enable you to develop into a more versatile and knowledgeable professional
- Provide faster career progression
- Provide greater job security/help you become more employable, regardless of the state of the economy
- Offer greater recognition for your expertise and authority in the proposal field
- Enhance your resume
- Help you earn Continuing Education Units (CEU) for your APMP Accreditation, Professional Development Units (PDU) for your PMP certification, or credits toward other certifications
- Save you money on our professional development classes when you purchase them together rather than attending each class individually
Investment for the Business Development Certification
When purchased separately, our 2-day classes cost $1,390 (Early Bird Price: $1,250) and our 1-day classes cost $695 (Early Bird: $625). The more economical way to register for a certification track is to pay for all required courses at once. When you do so, a 25% discount will be automatically applied at checkout when you purchase online. (You can also call us to pay with a credit card over the phone, mail a check, transfer money electronically, or request an invoice.)
If your company isn’t covering the cost for you to get certified and you need to pay for courses one-at-a-time, you can register for each required class by the early bird registration deadlines specified on our course pages to save 10%. As long as you take all classes required for your chosen certification track within 2 years, we will issue your certificate after you complete the final course.
Business Development Certification FAQs
Our Bid & Proposal Academy courses are taught by engaging, seasoned industry professionals and distinguished by the five characteristics below. These characteristics are what set us apart from other business development certification program providers.
- Continuously-Updated Content: We don’t teach stale proposal principles from the last few decades; instead, our courses are based on the latest best practices and trends. We build on what has worked time and again for years, but we continuously adjust the practices we teach to fit changing procurement realities and the competitive landscape.
- Education That Extends Beyond Process: Our students receive the most sophisticated and detailed tools, shortcuts, exact how-to instructions, and secrets of winning more Government contracts. We have them perform practical application exercises in class to drive home the principles our instructors present and illustrate through their shared experiences and lessons learned.
- Content-Rich Materials: We provide our students with learning materials embedded with multimedia, graphics-rich PowerPoint slides, hands-on exercises, reusable tools, and discussions using effective adult learning techniques that aid in better understanding and retention.
- Valuable Insights From Practicing, Pedigreed Proposal Professionals: Our instructors are equipped to answer the tough questions instead of just delivering teaching materials, because they’ve worked in the industry for decades and built successful companies of their own through Federal contracting. They tailor materials to their audiences’ challenges and share their experiences, which are based on the most current realities of the Federal market.
- Systematic Learning Opportunities: Each of our Bid & Proposal Academy courses builds on others to provide systematic and comprehensive understanding of capture management, proposal development, and business development professions.
Here are some examples of our media-rich teaching aids for courses that contain slides, workbooks, and CDs: