Foundations of Proposal Management
June 21, 2018 - June 22, 2018
The Foundations of Proposal Management course offers comprehensive skills in proposal management. The course begins with the Request for Proposal (RFP) requirements analysis. It then proceeds to proposal planning, outlining your document, and developing a proposal schedule. It also covers preparing for and conducting a Kickoff meeting to organize your proposal team, and guiding authors in developing proposal section content. The course then delves into managing your team, and running proposal reviews, debriefs, and production.
This course offers a rich toolbox of the most sophisticated best practices-based techniques and tools for every step of the way.
It is an interactive 2-day workshop that is 50 percent lecture, 40 percent exercises, and 10 percent discussion. It is built around a hands-on proposal development simulation exercise to practice and discuss each step of the proposal process.
Location: Metro Park North Business Center, 7361 Calhoun Place, Suite 560, Rockville, MD 20855 (check our Visitor Guide for location details, driving directions, nearby hotels and restaurants, and more).
Course completion: By attending this class, you will receive 3 CEUs towards your APMP accreditation, or 3 PDUs towards your PMP. At the end of this course you will get a Certificate of Completion.
Who should attend this course: Proposal department directors, company executives and senior managers, capture managers, proposal managers, business developers, business owners, project personnel.
Course materials: Course workbook, handouts, templates, forms, and checklists.
Professional certification: This is a Core Curriculum Course that provides 2 units (2-days) towards Bid&Proposal Academy certification program for proposal professionals. To learn more about the program or enroll: www.ostglobalsolutions.com/certification
The experts who teach our business development, capture and proposal training are highly experienced currently practicing proposal professionals whose years of successful experience in Government acquisition and training allow them to offer valuable insights to our students. Our instructors can answer tough questions as they come up during the course. They can also tailor the material to their students’ specific challenges, and share their experience based on the most current realities. Check our instructor’s bios.
Registration and Fees
For team discounts please change quantity of attendees at the checkout and click “Recalculate” to get the discount. Register 3 weeks before class date and receive $100 off per attendee as an EARLYBIRD discount!
- $1390 per one attendee ($1290 if registered 3 weeks before class date).
- $1250 per attendee when registering a team of 3 or more ($1150 if registered 3 weeks before class date), discounts apply at the checkout.
Seating is limited. Do not delay registering.
Cancellations and rescheduling policy: Cancellation notification must be received 10 business days prior to the training date. Upon notification, your registration fee will be refunded less a $100 non-refundable processing fee. Any cancellations beyond the 10 business days are non-refundable, but the course fee can be applied towards another training course, webinar, or an OST Global Solutions training product. No refunds will be made for the cancellation of a rescheduled course. Attendee substitutions may be made at any time. Payment must be received prior to the course date. No-shows are liable for the full class fee.
For additional questions please call 301-384-3350 during normal business hours. If you’d like to pay by invoice please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (NOTE: the payment must be received prior to the course start date).
“A wealth of information delivered in a very short time in a very engaging fashion. After 3 years in a company that focuses on Federal contracting, I became a proposal manager. I have a wonderful team, but none of us have had much formal proposal training. I’m definitely recommending these courses for a number within our company.”
Christopher J. Sparks, Proposal Manager, Skyline Ultd, Inc.
“Less than 1 year of proposal experience. The instructor is very good and demonstrates competence. I am encouraged to invest more in training at OST! The process based approach removes guesswork and promotes a predictable result for the team – actually winning!”
Manu Bakshi, President, ServBeyond Solutions
“This is an excellent course. This course provides a solid foundation on proposal management. It gives the user confidence to tackle the capture process.”
John Lee, Information Systems Engineer, CSRS
Upon course completion, the participants will have learned and be able to put into practice:
- Understanding where proposal management fits in the business development lifecycle.
- Understanding what it takes to win proposals.
- Understanding process-based approach to proposal management.
- Analyzing Request for Proposal (RFP) requirements.
- Parsing the RFP to create requirements checklists.
- Creating work packages with an annotated outline.
- Developing a proposal schedule.
- Creating a realistic proposal plan.
- Issuing assignments.
- Integrating cost proposal activities with the technical proposal development.
- Preparing for and conducting a productive Kickoff meeting.
- Managing a proposal day-to-day.
- Conducting effective Pink and Red Teams, and other types of proposal reviews.
- Producing and delivering a compliant proposal before the deadline.
Day 1 highlights
Module 1: Introduction
– Introductions and learning objectives.
– Introduction to proposal management and overview of the business development process to provide a big-picture perspective.
– Overview of the class project.
Module 2: Proposal Process
– Why most proposals don’t win and what to do to win – and the most important component that makes it win or lose.
– OST’s six-phase proposal process to streamline and organize the proposal development effort.
Discussion: Proposal process observations.
Module 3: Requirements Analysis
– How to read Government RFPs correctly to understand exactly what the Government is looking for.
– How to parse the RFP to develop a checklist for a fully compliant proposal.
Exercise: Analyze and parse the RFP to create a compliance checklist.
Module 4: Outlining and Story boards
– How to create compliant proposal outline that helps get the highest score.
– How to create an annotated outline.
– When to use annotated outlines as opposed to story boards.
– How to develop story boards or writers’ work packages that help transition easily from brainstorming to the first draft.
Exercise: Create a work package with an annotated outline.
Day 2 highlights
Module 5: Developing a Proposal Plan
– How to create a proposal schedule that will result in an error-free set of proposal documents.
– How to develop a realistic proposal plan.
– How to develop a proposal organization structure with roles and responsibilities.
– Assigning proposal sections.
Exercise: Plan your proposal to develop a realistic proposal schedule.
Module 6: Conducting a Productive Kickoff Session
– How to jump-start your proposal the right way by preparing for and reaching nine all-important Kickoff goals.
– Preparing Kickoff Materials.
– Planning for the Kickoff.
Exercise: Prepare the draft Kickoff Brief for the practice proposal.
Module 7: Managing the Proposal Day-to-Day
– How to manage a proposal team effectively on a daily basis.
– Issuing data calls.
– Tracking proposal section status.
– Managing proposal document workflow and configuration control.
– Challenges of managing a virtual proposal team.
– Resources for getting non-professional writers to produce better proposal sections and graphics.
Discussion: Day-to-day proposal management techniques.
Module 8: Conducting Effective Proposal Reviews
– How to run effective proposal reviews.
– Types of proposal reviews.
– Planning for and conducting a Pink Team.
– Planning for and facilitating a Red Team.
– Gold Team standards.
– Other types of reviews that may be helpful to your team.
– Review forms, inputs, and outputs.
– Review recovery effort.
Exercise: Review a proposal section for compliance and content; score the section and prepare recommendations.
Module 9: Producing and Delivering the Proposal
– What you need to complete prior to delivery.
– How to determine production requirements.
– How to estimate the binder size and create tabs.
– Proposal cover, spine, and back requirements.
– Communicating and collaborating with the production team.
– How to polish, print, check, and deliver your proposal on time.
– Confirming delivery.
Exercise: Develop a proposal production and delivery plan.
Module 10: Summary and Recap.