Proposal Win Themes Development
December 1, 2017 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
This workshop offers valuable skills in win themes development as the most important element of proposal persuasion. The course walks you through the purpose of win themes and their building blocks. It then advances beyond the mere basics in order to explain everything needed to develop effective proposal win themes. It shows how to write win themes that are memorable and capable of influencing your customers so that they feel compelled to select your company. You will also acquire techniques to transform win themes into win strategies, and help increase win probability.
The workshop helps practice an efficient process of getting to the right win themes within hours instead of spending days in boring and unproductive brainstorming sessions.
This workshop is 40 percent lecture, 50 percent exercises, and 10 percent discussion. Participants will learn how to masterfully facilitate win themes development sessions, and will never have to struggle with creating the right win themes or win strategies.
Location: Metro Park North Business Center, 7361 Calhoun Place, Suite 560, Rockville, MD 20855 (check our Visitor Guide for location details, driving directions, nearby hotels and restaurants, and more).
Course completion: By attending this class, you will receive 3 CEUs towards your APMP accreditation, or 3 PDUs towards your PMP. At the end of this course you will get a Certificate of Completion.
Who should attend this course: Proposal department directors, company executives and senior managers, capture managers, proposal managers, business developers, business owners, project personnel.
Course materials: Course workbook, handouts, templates, forms, and checklists.
Professional certification: This is a Core Curriculum Course that provides 2 units (2-days) towards Bid&Proposal Academy certification program for proposal professionals. To learn more about the program or enroll: www.ostglobalsolutions.com/certification
The experts who teach our business development, capture and proposal training are highly experienced currently practicing proposal professionals whose years of successful experience in Government acquisition and training allow them to offer valuable insights to our students. Our instructors can answer tough questions as they come up during the course. They can also tailor the material to their students’ specific challenges, and share their experience based on the most current realities. Check our instructor’s bios.
Registration and Fees
For team discounts please change quantity of attendees at the checkout and click “Recalculate” to get the discount. Register 3 weeks before class date and receive $50 off per attendee as an EARLYBIRD discount!
- $695 per one attendee ($645 if registered 3 weeks before class date).
- $625 per attendee when registering a team of 3 or more ($575 if registered 3 weeks before class date), discounts apply at the checkout.
Seating is limited. Do not delay registering.
Cancellations and rescheduling policy: Cancellation notification must be received 10 business days prior to the training date. Upon notification, your registration fee will be refunded less a $100 non-refundable processing fee. Any cancellations beyond the 10 business days are non-refundable, but the course fee can be applied towards another training course, webinar, or an OST Global Solutions training product. No refunds will be made for the cancellation of a rescheduled course. Attendee substitutions may be made at any time. Payment must be received prior to the course date. No-shows are liable for the full class fee.
For additional questions please call 301-384-3350 during normal business hours. If you’d like to pay by invoice please send an email to email@example.com (NOTE: the payment must be received prior to the course start date).
“I’ve worked in proposals for four years now and I see the same mistakes and mentalities over and over again. When I try to hold win themes meetings, I hear the same “themes” or little to no information about the customer. Coming to this workshop has given me the knowledge and skills to go back to my company armed with the information needed to win.”
Rachel Simmons, Proposal Leader at Morgan Franklin
“I’ve worked on proposals for three years. I was impressed with instructor’s energy and the frequent examples. In other training courses the instructor can get bored and be boring. The day was always fun and educational. This course will help us win more work and develop better win themes and, subsequently, better win strategies.“
Anatalia Gauthier, BD and Marketing Coordinator at MWH Global
“This class has been a real eye-opener for me concerning the tools and the approaches to proposal development that result in awards. I have been involved in the process for over ten years and while we have won numerous contracts, I wonder, how many others we might have won had we had the benefit of this class. I am excited to take this knowledge back to the team and apply it to our proposal efforts going forward. Thank you!”
Michelle Taylor, President/CEO, BETAH Associates
Upon course completion, the participants will have learned and be able to put into practice:
- Understanding the goals and the characteristics of effective proposal win themes.
- Knowing the types and categories of win themes.
- Recognizing and applying the building blocks of a successful win theme.
- Identifying customer hot buttons necessary for win theme development.
- Using a three-session win theme development process.
- Refining and enhancing win themes.
- Deriving a pursuit win strategy and developing strategic actions from your win themes.
- Applying advanced win theme development concepts.
- Presenting win themes effectively in a proposal.
- Facilitating the win theme development process and applying its principles in course participants’ organizations.
Module 1: Introduction
– Introductions and learning objectives.
– The purpose of win themes.
Module 2: Defining Win Themes
– Typical problems with win themes.
– Definition of win themes.
– Rule of thumb for win themes.
– Variety of win theme forms and their examples.
– Characteristics of effective win themes.
– Three general categories of win themes.
Discussion: Types and categories of win themes used in participants’ proposals.
Module 3: The Anatomy of Win Themes
– Building blocks of effective win themes.
– Function of each building block and it’s identifying questions.
– Dissecting each of the win themes building blocks.
– Checklists and questions for defining the building blocks.
– Making your win themes believable.
– Real reasons why people have trouble identifying benefits.
– Identifying the customer’s sweet spot.
– Techniques for disciplined construction of win themes.
– Examples of successful win themes.
Exercise: Identify each of the building blocks and their relevancy to the customer. Deconstruct a complex win theme.
Module 4: The Secret Sauce – Efficient and Effective Win Theme Development Process
– Win themes development session.
– Inputs into a win themes development Session 1.
– Outputs from win themes development Session 1.
– How to automatically shift focus from you to the customer.
– Definition and types of hot buttons..
– Techniques for identifying hot buttons.
– Framework with a checklist for recognizing hot buttons.
– The secret sauce of win theme development – Session 2.
– Examples of win themes that highlight the principle of customer focus.
– Session 3: Weeding and refining win themes using a strategic approach.
– Facilitating Session 3.
Exercise: Identify customer’s hot buttons. Apply next process steps to developing win themes. Refine and enhance your win theme.
Module 5: Transforming Win Themes into Win Strategies and Action Items
– Win strategy development using win themes.
– Strategic actions development.
– Types of strategic actions.
Discussion: Derive a win strategy and develop strategic actions from your win theme.
Module 6: Advanced Win Theme Concepts
– Flavors of win themes.
– Advanced persuasion techniques applicable to win themes.
– Quality check of the win themes.
Exercise: Practice changing the win theme’s flavor to enhance its effectiveness.
Module 7: Placing Win Themes in the Proposal
– Examples of how win themes should appear in a proposal.
– Structure of a win theme in a focus box.
– Structure of a win theme in the text.
– Other instances of win themes.
Exercise: Present your win theme in a proposal.
Module 8: Proposal Team Facilitation in Win Themes Development
– Proposal team facilitation tips.
– Win theme development process application tips.
– Where win theme development fits in the capture and proposal process.
Discussion: How participants will implement win themes development process in their organizations.
Module 9: Summary and Recap
– Additional resources and bibliography.